I’m doing limited goals with optional stretch goals.
1. Walk, keep up on crits, read at least 15 books- STRETCH GOAL: 20 books!
2. Finish up January’s OWM story and pick my next prompt. STRETCH GOAL: Work on that prompt too!
3. Get another chapter written or revised in one of my active projects. STRETCH GOAL: 2 chapters.
As far as 2014 as a whole? Again, stretch goals. A lot of factors are in flux right now. I don’t know how large a workload I can get from the new internship yet. Counterintuitively, the more I have to do, the more productive I am. I prioritize better and procrastinate less. So I’m goalsetting with the expectation that I can revise these upward as needed, but this is the MINIMUM I’m allowed to get done this year.
1. Read 150 published books again. Stretch Goal: 200.
2. Read/crit at least 20 unpublished MSs. (I did 19 this year, even without an active internship for 3 months, so 20 is quite reasonable.) Stretch goal: 30.
3. Find more/better tools for my prewriting process and refine this. When I go to start this year’s projects, I want to feel like I have a handle on them to the point where I won’t need to stop and figure out what the hell is going on repeatedly. I need to drive with GPS, not just going “This way looks right, I think” only to find the road twists and turns in completely unexpected directions until I’m lost. Once I have a project developed enough, sit on it for a month. See if it develops more. Repeat as needed until all that’s left to do is fill in the paint.
4. Develop 2 projects this way. Draft at least 1. Stretch goal: Edit that draft completely.
5. Focus on using the OWM stories to improve description and tightness. Carry that over into my own writing.
6. Participate in at least 1 contest, either as part of the judging or submitting. Stretch goal: 2 contests.
7. Keep in touch better, both via blog and on social media. I have a bad habit of going quiet when I’m stressed, or over analyzing anything I want to say and staying quiet for fear of saying the wrong thing. I need to get better about that. There’s a couple friends I don’t feel as close to now as I did at the start of the year, and that’s directly related.
8. Attend at least one conference/retreat/workshop. Stretch goal: As many as I can find a way to do (subject to time, money, and geographical restrictions. This is complicated by the fact that I really don’t like spending nights away from home without Owen.)
9. Pare down the timewasting activities. Replace them with more productive things.
10. Finally meet up with KT. This WILL happen. It’s a matter of when. Stretch goal: Meet up with 5 of the lovely internet folks.
How was 2013?
You’ll find out Wednesday. 😉